- Launch Microsoft Word.
- From the File tab, choose Options.
- In the resulting window, from the left-side navigation menu, choose Add-ins.
- Using the drop-down menu located at the bottom of the window, choose Word Add-ins and click the button labeled "Go".
- In the resulting window, under Global Templates and add-ins, the following items should be present:
Note: If you're using MathType 6.9b or 6.9d, the first item will be named MathType Commands 6 for Word 2016.dotm.
- If the items from the previous step are not present, proceed to the next step. If they are present, the "MathType Commands" item should be checked (selected) if you're using MathType 7 and later. If you're using MathType 6.9b or 6.9d, both items should be checked.
- If the items from step 5 are not present, that's OK. Please try this:
- Click the Add This will open a window titled Add Template.
- In the window, navigate to this path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MathType\Office Support\64
- You will see the following items in the folder (among others):
- MathType Commands 6 for Word 2016.dotm (if not using MathType 7 or later)
- MathType Commands 2016.dotm (if using MathType 7 or later)
If there's not a Word 2016.dotm file in the folder, verify once again you're using the correct version of MathType. Office 2016 is only supported by MathType 6.9b (not 6.9 or 6.9a) and later.
- Please select one of them at a time, and click Open. This will bring it into the Add-Ins box. You will then need to click Add one more time to bring in the other add-in (either MathType Commands… .dotm or WordCmds.dot).
- Once you have them listed under Templates and Add-ins, the boxes on the left side should have a checkmark inside, but if they don't, click to place a checkmark there. Click OK. (For MathType 7 and later, it's only necessary for MathType Commands 2016.dotm to have a checkmark.)
- This should restore the MathType tab in Word. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to load it in.