If the MathType commands in the MathType tab in Word are grayed out or partially grayed out, it could also mean that some of the macro security settings have changed, or you might have responded to a security question about macros that caused them to be partially disabled.
To re-enable the macros so that the MathType commands are active, please try this:
1. Open Word.
2. Click the ‘File’ menu or the ‘Office’ button in the upper left corner.
3. Select 'Options', then ‘Trust Center’.
4. Click ‘Trust Center Settings’.
5. Select ‘Macro Settings’ on the left side.
6. Select the radio button for 'Enable All Macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run)'.
7. Click ‘OK’ and then click ‘OK’ again.
8. Close Word and then re-open Word.
Note: Even though we are enabling macros, it’s not dangerous to do so if you’re careful what you open, and you don’t open documents from unknown sources. You can try setting to 'Disable all macros except digitally signed macros' in Step 6 too.