Please try to insert citations in a new, blank Word document.
If the same error does NOT occur in the new, blank Word document, please perform the steps in this support article (Clarivate):
If the issue persists on a new, blank Word document, please try the steps below:
- Open Windows File Explorer (Ctrl+E) and navigate to the EndNote program folder (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote 20).
- Double-click/run the "Configure EndNote.exe" file inside the EndNote program folder.
- Make sure "Configure EndNote components" is selected and click Next.
- Uncheck (If the box is ticked) “Cite While You Write add-in for Microsoft Office” and click Next > Finish.
- Next, repeat steps 2~4 but make sure to check the “Cite While You Write add-in for Microsoft Office” box this time.
- Open Microsoft Word and look for the EndNote 20 toolbar in the ribbon. Try to insert some references into a blank new document.
If this does not work, you can also try to repair the EndNote program.
- On your Windows search > Look for Add or Remove Programs
- In the list of installed applications, click on EndNote 20 > Modify > Repair > Complete the process.
Please note that you will need administrative privileges on your PC to perform the above steps.