To help avoid corrupting NVivo project files follow the tips below:
- Set up autosave or save regularly while working, to avoid file corruption in case the computer shuts down abruptly or, if saving to a network drive, the drive becomes unavailable.
- Always save projects before leaving the computer for any period of time—files can be corrupted when computers go to into power saving mode.
- Always make sure projects are completely closed before shutting down NVivo.
- If a project is saved in a folder that is synched to a cloud storage provider like Dropbox or Google Drive, turn off file synchronization while you are working on the project (or copy the project to a non-synched local folder to work on and copy back when finished).
- Do not work on project files saved on USB sticks or external USB drives—instead, copy the projects to a local drive and work with them there. Copy back to the external drive when finished.
- Check regularly for malware on the computer or drive where the project file is stored
Source: QSR International - More info