NVivo versions are identified by a major number (the number before the decimal point, e.g. version 11 or 12, or release 1) and a minor number (the number after the decimal point, e.g. the 5 in version 12.5 or release 1.5). See Identify NVivo version number to identify the version number of your installation.
Projects created in older major versions can be opened in newer major versions—e.g. you can open version 12 projects in NVivo release 1—the older-version project file is copied and the copy formatted for the newer version—the original file is not changed.
Projects created in newer major versions cannot be opened in older major versions—e.g. you cannot open release 1 projects in NVivo version 12.
IMPORTANT Projects created in newer major versions such as NVivo 14 cannot be opened in NVivo release 1, NVivo version 12, or earlier. There are database changes between versions which prevents backward compatibility. NVivo release 1 and earlier projects needs to be copied and upgraded in order to open in NVivo 14.
NOTE – Trialling NVivo
Version compatibility is important for users trialing the latest version of NVivo—if you are trialing NVivo 14 you can open a version 12 or release 1 project in it (copied and upgraded) but any changes you make in the copy cannot be saved in a format that you can open in version 12 or release 1.
Compatibility in minor versions
Minor versions are compatible—e.g. you can open a project created in NVivo release 1.4 in release 1.5, and vice versa (with the exception, noted above, that release 1.6 and following projects cannot be opened in release 1.5 or earlier).
Windows and Mac
It is possible to move projects between the NVivo Windows and Mac platforms provided they have the same major version numbers Windows & Mac.
Identify NVivo version number
- In the ribbon, click File, then Product Info > About NVivo.
A dialog box opens showing:
- version number
- license key number (not usually required, as you use your myNVivo account to activate NVivo Activating NVivo)
- legal notices
NVivo recognizes the project's version and offers to create a copy and convert it. To initiate the conversion of an older major-version project to a newer major version:
- Open NVivo, on the File tab, click Open > Browse.
- Ensure you have NVivo Projects selected in the bottom-right of the dialog box.
- Select the project you want to open and click Open.
The Upgrade Project dialog box opens.
- By default, the updated file is saved in the same location with '(NVivo R14.xx.x)' appended to the file name.
To change the file name, location, or save as an NVivo Collaboration Server project:
- Click Browse.
- Make the required changes and click Save.
- Click Next, and then click Upgrade.