After you installed NVivo you were prompted to enter your license key, but now receive the following error message: "Invalid license key. The license key that was entered is not valid. Please check the key and try again"?
Here are some things you can do to solve the problem. This error could be due to one of the below two reasons:
- The key being entered is for a different version of NVivo for Mac (or Windows)
- The license key has been entered incorrectly
Correct license key?
Please ensure you are entering the license key in the correct version of NVivo for Mac or Windows. Each version of NVivo (Version 10, 11 and 12) require a different license key.
The license key’s first section describes which version the license key is designed for, like below
- If the license key has “10” in the first five characters, for example, NXX10-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX it can only activate NVivo 10.
- If the license key has “11” in the first five characters, for example, NXX11-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX it can only activate NVivo Version 11.
- If the license key has “12” in the first five characters, for example, NXX12-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX it can only activate NVivo 12.
You can download the correct version of NVivo that corresponds to your license key from Download QSR Software section of the website (scroll down for older versions of the software): https://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/support-overview/downloads
License key entered correctly?
Please copy and paste the license key to avoid any typing errors.
Note! Pay careful attention to differentiate between:
- Number zero (Ø) and the alphabet O
- Number one (1) and the alphabet I
- Number two (2) and the alphabet Z
If the issue persists, take a screenshot which shows the license key entered in NVivo. Please create a support case with the image file attached.