Get the new tags to organise and enjoy the new data restoration function. Everything to get control and feel safe about it. Having questions? Email us at info (at) alfasoft.com or Buy now!
If you sync your EndNote library between different computers, you may also want to work on your document on both computers.
You can do this if your document has and retains all references in a formatted state (i.e., formatted with an output style).
The example below assumes that you have already synced your library between the two computers, A and B. We further assume that you worked with your document on computer A and will now copy the document to computer B to continue working there.
- On computer A, open your EndNote library and click Library> Sync (in EndNote X9: Tools> Sync). This ensures that your library is up to date.
- Format your document by clicking Update Citations and Bibliography on the EndNote toolbar in Word. This ensures that your document is up to date.
- Save the document and move it to computer B.
- On computer B, open your EndNote library and click Library> Sync (in EndNote X9: Tools> Sync). This ensures that your library is up to date.
- Open your document and click Update Citations and Bibliography on the EndNote toolbar in Word. This will connect your document to the library on computer B.
- Work as usual in the document.
When you have finished working on the document on computer B, click Update Citations and Bibliography again before saving the document and moving it back to computer A.
Repeat these steps 1-6 each time you move the document between the computers.
Note! Each time you click on Update Citations and Bibliography, your references to the local open library are updated (and the so-called RecordID will also be updated). You can check which library the references in the document are linked to on the EndNote toolbar in Word, click Edit and Manage Citations, and then check the column labelled Library.
If some references are from, for example, the travelling library, you can click on the triangle to the right of the Edit Reference button and click on Update from my library.