Don't miss our upcoming NVivo training on October 12 (teacher-led and online) https://www.alfasoft.link/nvivotraining
MacOS 10.14 introduced some new privacy and security features and for NVivo for Mac to work with MacOS 10.14 Mojave, you will need to grant NVivo permission to control your computer, or you need the NVivo12.2 update or later.
Grant NVivo permission
As of the NVivo for Mac 12.2 update (or later), it is no longer necessary to grant NVivo permissions to control your computer.
If you are working with an older update of NVivo 12, when you update to macOS Mojave you will experience this issue with NVivo crashing on launch. You can resolve this by moving your current installation of NVivo to the trash, and then reinstall NVivo 12 from our website. This won't affect any of Your NVivo projects.
Users who are using NVivo 11 for Mac will still need to follow the steps below to allow NVivo permissions on their computer.
- Open System Preferences (Click Launchpad > System preferences or select the System Preferences icon from the dock)
- Select Security & Privacy
- Select the Privacy tab and then select Accessibility
- Click the lock icon to make changes and enter your password if prompted to do so.
- If NVivo doesn't show under "Allow the apps below to control your computer", click the’+’ icon and then select NVivo from the Applications folder.
- Ensure there is a tick in front of NVivo application icon.
You should now be able to close System Preferences and launch NVivo. Note, if the above permissions are not granted, NVivo will fail to launch.
There are currently some known issues with working on NVivo for Mac in MacOS 10.14 Mojave:
- The colour scheme of NVivo will not change when your Mac is set to the dark mode
- When hiding and re-showing the ribbon, the ribbon may not display correctly. This can be resolved by temporarily resizing the NVivo window.
- You may notice minor issues with the display of some items in NVivo such as editable fields appearing to be greyed out when editing attribute values
We aim to improve the use of NVivo on Mac OS 10.14 Mojave in future updates and NVivo should notify you if a new update is available. To manually check for updates to NVivo, please select NVivo > Check for updates.